Whenever I have leftover chicken, my first thoughts are of chicken salad. I was always a little grossed out by the idea of chicken salad, but a couple years ago, I tried a yogurt-based, curried chicken salad sandwich at a restaurant and I was immediately won over. That rich, warming curry spice mixture in a slightly sweet, tangy, creamy yogurt sauce…so good. Since I had a bunch of leftover cooked chicken in the fridge this week, I decided to try my hand at my own version.
I love making chicken salad with Greek yogurt for its rich, creamy texture and tang, but I add just a dab of mayo to bring in a little bit of that traditional taste and texture. Curry powder, obviously, flavors the sauce. Turmeric is already in curry powder, but I added a little extra to really enhance that taste and beautiful yellow color. To add a sweet contrast to that curried flavor, I added some diced honeycrisp apples. Their crisp texture replaces the traditional celery—which, let’s be honest, no one likes anyway. Okay, maybe some people like it, but apples are better. Scallions and cilantro add a fresh, bright component to complete the dish.
This curried chicken salad is perfect for sandwiches or for serving on greens as a salad—or for eating with a fork out of the fridge. Whatever works. Like any chicken salad, it’s also a great dish to make ahead for get-togethers and work or school lunches. Enjoy!
Curried Chicken Apple Salad
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 apple, diced
- ⅓ cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup sliced scallions
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil mayonnaise or light mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar or honey
- Dash black pepper
- Combine first five ingredients (chicken through cilantro) in a large mixing bowl and toss until combined.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine remaining ingredients (yogurt though pepper). Whisk until smooth.
- Pour yogurt mixture over chicken mixture and mix until well-combined. Serve on sandwiches or over salad.